Christmas is that time of year that encourages us to delve into our recipe books and get our aprons on. This week, I've prepared a recipe for your Christmas menu which is easy to follow and a great alternative to turkey.
Simon Howie Butchers provided us with this delicious ham and it really does make the perfect choice for the festive period. Ham is so versatile. It's just as delicious served cold so perfect for Christmas Eve dinner if your family and friends are arriving at different times. This means you not a slave to the kitchen as guests can help themselves as they arrive.
It’s also a perfect choice for the Christmas day table as it can be cooked the day before and kept in the fridge overnight. Then it’s just a case of adding the glaze and warming it up in the oven following steps 4-6 below. This is a firm favourite in our house over the Christmas period.
If there are any leftovers on Boxing Day then you can’t beat a ham mac and cheese. The ultimate winter comfort food! You can book your Ham from Simon Howies today. MORE >>>
1. Place the gammon in a large pan and cover with cold water. Add the onions, cinnamon, peppercorns and herbs to the pot and bring to the boil. Turn down and simmer for 1hr 30 mins until the meat becomes tender. Keep topping up the water level with boiling water if necessary.
2. Remove the ham from the water and allow to cool slightly.
3. Preheat the oven to 170C. Make the glaze by mixing the maple syrup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and soy sauce in a bowl.
4. Cut away any skin from the ham leaving a good layer of fat and score the fat of the ham using a sharp knife, to create a zig zag pattern. Place the ham in a shallow roasting tin and coat the ham entirely with the glaze using a brush or a spoon.
5. Roast the ham uncovered in the oven, basting with the glaze every 20 minutes for an hour.
6. Let the ham rest for 15 minutes before carving.
This super tasty Christmas Glazed ham would be the perfect addition to your Christmas Day meal and Gill's idea for leftover Ham with Mac & Cheese sounds divine! Get your Christmas Ham ordered from Simon Howies today! lwww.
Leave your comments here and please do share this with your friends! You can also share your photographs and ideas with us. We'd love to see them. As always, tag them #PerthLoveFest and we'll scatter them around our own social media.
Nicki XBy Nicola Martin
This Mussel recipe is a nice change from the usual moules ma
August 10th Thursday
This sweet and spicy pickle is a staple for all cheese sarni
August 3rd Thursday
This delicious salad is the perfect lunchtime fill me up and
July 27th Thursday