Rhubarb & Ginger Gin Cheesecake
We had a splendid day last Saturday at the inaugural Wee G & T Festival run by Provender Brown. Over 50 gins in one room at one time - what's not to like?
And you know us! We had to get ourselves right into the thick of it and who better to call on when you need some recipe inspiration than the wonderful Big G (G for Gin in this case!). Graeme Maxwell, pastry chef extraordinaire, hubbie of #RhonaRecommends
and our go to guy when challenged to come up with a recipe using gin.
This wonderful, creamy cheesecake is the result and we have the approval of 45 people who attended his masterclass in The Sally last weekend. Using Edinburgh Gin's Rhubarb and Ginger infused gin he has added some little extras to give it the Big G twist!
4 hours 0 mins
- 230 grams ginger nut biscuits
- 70g melted butter
- 115g full fat cream cheese
- 200g icing sugar
- 700g double cream whipped
- 4 balls candied ginger in syrup finely chopped
- 100g Rhubarb & Ginger infused Edinburgh Gin
- 2 stalks fresh rhubarb peeled and finely chopped
- Gin for soaking
- Cheesecake 9 inch tin lined with greaseproof paper
- Peel the thick fibrous skin from your rhubarb (you won’t need to peel if using forced rhubarb) and slice into thin pieces.
- Place in a shallow bowl and cover fully with Edinburgh Gin Rhubarb and Ginger Liquer. Leave to soak for at least 3 hours or longer depending on preferred strength.
- Line your 9inch cake tin with a disc of greaseproof paper on the bottom and strips round the sides until everything is covered.
- Bash up your gingernuts into a rough or fine crumb depending on preference, either in a food processor or wrap in a tea towl and attack with a rolling pin.
- Melt the butter and add to the biscuit mixing with your hands until fully combined.
- The mix is at the correct consistency when you can take and handful and press it together and it only slightly crumbles when you touch it. Too crumbly it won’t cut well so add a bit more butter to wet it and if it's too wet it will set too hard, so bash up and add more gingernuts.
- Put your biscuit mix into your prepared tin and using your hands or the back of a spoon press down until as flat and even as you can make it.
- Place tin in fridge to chill for minimum 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl beat together your cream cheese and icing sugar until smooth.
- In another bowl whisk your cream until it is happily holding a peak when you take the whisk out.
- Add your cream to your cheese mix gently combining until smooth.
- Roughly chop your stem ginger and stir into mix.
- Finally drain off your gin soaked rhubarb (reserving the liquor) and stir into mix. Stir the rhubarb along with around 3/4 of the reserved liquor into the mix.
- Spoon mix into lined cake tin and using the back of a spoon smooth down the top.
- Refrigerate for a minimum of 6 hours, overnight preferably.
- Carefully demould after it has been refridgerated, drizzle with the rest of the reserved rhubarb liqour and serve.
We hope you enjoy making this delicious cheesecake and don't forget to pick up your bottle of Rhubarb & Ginger Edinburgh Gin from Prov Brown. You can pick up a bottle in-store or online here >>>
You can also check out our brilliant Small City Gallery to see all the pics from the day here >>>
Leave your comments here and please do share this with your friends! You can also share your photographs and ideas with us. We'd love to see them. As always, tag them #PerthLoveFest and we'll scatter them around our own social media.