Butternut Squash, Orange and Chilli Soup
Butternut squash is one of my favourite winter veggies to use in the kitchen. Aside from being so versatile, its packed full of vitamins A and C and fibre. It also provides a great burst of colour in these dull winter months.
Butternut squash is a great ingredient in soup as it adds a lovely creaminess to the dish. This recipe is packed with different flavours including a bit of sweetness and spice adding to the depth of flavour
The perfect warming dish when its cold outside. Truly delicious!
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 600g butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 red chilli, thinly sliced and chopped
- 400g sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 oranges, zest and juice
- 1 pint of Gluten Free vegetable stock
- Fresh coriander, few sprigs
- 125ml double cream (optional)
- Salt and Pepper
- Heat the oil in a large pan and add the onion and garlic and cook gently for approximately 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add the chilli, butternut squash, sweet potato, ground coriander, orange zest and juice and stir then add in the vegetable stock.
- Bring to the boil, then cover and lower the heat and simmer for 25 minutes at which point the vegetables will be tender.
- Remove from the heat and using a hand blender, liquidise the soup until smooth. Add in the double cream if using and stir. Season to taste.
- Serve in bowls with a sprig of coriander.
We recently had an afternoon of research in a bid to make Google love us even more and we spent time checking out what people were searching for online when it comes to recipes. Turns out soup is right up there at the top of the recipe tree!
I have to say, I wasn't surprised. We do love proper, homemade soup us Scots; you can never underestimate what a good bowl of soup can do for your soul. The love we feel for this simplest of dishes may stem from pots of hearty ham & lentil or a braw Scotch Broth, but in recent years we've opened up to the idea of 'fancy' or 'posh' soup (I have heard Broccoli and Stilton called both!). Of course, most of these newer recipes are actually very simple with only two or three ingredients required and twenty minutes on the hob to cook. If truth to be told, there's nothing that swish about them at all!
This butternut squash and orange is a perfectl example. It sounds grand but is actually super easy to make and amazingly tasty to eat. I love that velvety, smooth finish of butternut squash in soup and the hint of orange and chilli just lifts it to another level. Amazing!
Enjoy - Nicki X